Older Adults and HIV/AIDS
Over 1 million Americans are living with HIV and the number is growing. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, thirty-one percent of people living with HIV nationwide are over the age of 50. Moreover, research indicates that by 2015 half of the people living with HIV in the U.S. will be over more than 50 years old.
With the advent of the 21st century, prevention of HIV has become an important issue for older Americans. Today, 17% of all new HIV/AIDS cases occur among people who have lived to the half century mark and beyond. It is clear that more needs to be done to inform individuals and aging network providers about the importance of educating older Americans about HIV prevention.
We're pleased to offer these useful resources for aging professionals and others interested in designing programs for older adults about the prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS. Please visit this site regularly to view new resources as they are added.
30th Anniversary of HIV/AIDS
HIV and Older Adults
- HIV/AIDS in the Elderly Population Webinar
- Reporting Manual on HIV/AIDS, Kaiser Family Foundation U.S. Global Health Policy, July 2012
- Let’s Face It: Older Adults Speak About HIV Booklet, ACRIA, 2012
- National Resource Center on LGBT Aging HIV and Aging Resoruces
- Seniors and HIV/AIDS Fact Sheet
- Growing Older with the Epidemic: HIV and Aging, GMHC, 2010
- HIV and LGBT Aging White Paper, SAGE, 2010
http://sageusa.org/uploads/January 2010 HIV Policy White Paper.pdf
- The AIDS Community Research Initiative of America (ACRIA) has a number of resources related to older adults on their website (http://www.acria.org/) including curriculum, technical assistance resources and capacity building materials. To access educational booklets go to http://www.acria.org/publications/educational-booklets. To access the report Research on Older Adults and HIV go to http://www.acria.org/files/ROAH%20Final.pdf
- A video of the October 2010 White House summmit on HIV and Aging is available for online viewing at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCWR60LIljc&feature=player_embedded
- HIV Wisdom for Older Women offers resources and stories about older women and HIV at http://hivwisdom.org
- The 4th annual National HIV/AIDS and Aging Awareness Day (NHAAAD), “Aging is a part of life; HIV doesn't have to be” http://www.theaidsinstitute.org/programs/education/national-hivaids-and-aging-awareness-nhaaa
- Medicare Covered HIV Screening Educational Brochure https://www.cms.gov/MLNProducts/downloads/HIV_brochure_ICN905713.pdf
- HIV, Aids, and Older Adults, Spanish Version http://www.nia.nih.gov/espanol/publicaciones/el-vih-el-sida-y-las-personas-mayores
Additional Useful Resources
|Last Modified: 5/22/2013 3:17:29 PM