Chapter 27: Sample AADE Application
The DSME entity will measure the effectiveness of the education program and determine opportunities for improvement using a written CQI plan that descries and documents a systematic review of the programs' process and outcome data.
Essential Elements Checklist:
- Systematic process for implementing a CQI process/plan
- Program improvement, if applicable, is based on data deficiencies that have been analyzed
- CQI results are shared with the advisory group annually
CQI Plan (Standard 10)
The DSMT program will measure the effectiveness of the education process and determine opportunities for improvement using a written continuous quality improvement (CQI) plan that describes and documents a systematic review of the entities' process and outcome data. Please see sample CQI measure below:
Continuous Quality Improvement Process
Identified Problem: A number of patients with Type 2 diabetes are referred to our DSME Program without having a recent HgbA1c.
Improve the percentage of patients referred who have a current (within the past 3 months)
- Each patient enrolled in classes or individual track will be entered into participant tracking spreadsheet. At the end of each quarter, a report will be compiled of the percentage of patients enrolled last quarter who have recent Hgb Alc values on enrollment.
- Participants will be aggregated by their referring provider.
- Referring providers that have a high number of clients without a current Hgb Alc will be informed of the number of clients that report not having a HgbAlc.
- Information will be provided to the referring provider's staff of the importance of obtaining HgbAlcs at required intervals and literature will be provided that can go in the provider's waiting room for patients.
- Identify barriers to drawing and reporting HgbAlc values by discussion with referring offices and with participants that do not have a current HgbAlc.
- Initiate a plan to increase the percentage of patients who are referred with a
Monitor percentage of patients who are referred with a recent HgbAlc every quarter. Analyze the effect of the plan to increase the percentage of patients who are referred with a recent HgbAlc. Utilize spreadsheet to track data.
Use strategies that are effective and create new ones as needed. Report results to Quality and Risk Management, and the advisory committee annually.
Back to top
< previous | chapter list | standards list | next >